Saturday, July 12, 2014

Don't shame the selfie


" NOVEMBER 19TH, 2013,
‘SELFIE’ WAS NAMED THE WORD OF THE YEAR BY THE OXFORD DICTIONARY
PSEUDO-INTELLECTUALS EVERYWHERE CRIED ABOUT THE ‘DEATH OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE’
BECAUSE GOD FORBID MODERN COLLOQUIAL SPEECH BE RECOGNISED AS VALID.
TIME MAGAZINE REFERS TO ‘MILLENIALS’ AS THE ‘ME ME ME GENERATION’
SELFISH, ALL WE CARE ABOUT IS PERSONAL GRATIFICATION
LAZY, ENTITLED, SHALLOW NARCISSISTS.
A PICTURE OF A GIRL TAKING A SELFIE ON HER PHONE IS USED FOR THE COVER
BECAUSE OUR SELFISHNESS CAN BE SUMMED UP IN THE FACT THAT WE LIKE HOW WE LOOK ENOUGH TO DOCUMENT IT.
WE ARE CONSUMED, THEY TELL US, WITH OUR SELF IMAGE.
EVERYTHING IS ABOUT US.
ME-ME-ME.
WITH THE ADDITION OF EVERY WORD TO THE DICTIONARY,
‘HASHTAG’. ‘PERF’. ‘SEXTING’. ‘TOTES’. ‘SELFIE’,
THE ‘ME-ME-ME’ GENERATION CONTINUES TO MAKE IT ALL ABOUT OURSELVES,
AND WE SHOULD, THEY TELL US, WEEP,
WE SHOULD WEEP BECAUSE WE ARE ENTITLED,
BECAUSE ALL WE CARE ABOUT ARE SELFIES AND PARTIES AND INSTAGRAM,
BECAUSE THIS IS THE GENERATION THAT WILL ONE DAY RUN THE WORLD,
AND FOR THAT, WE SHOULD WEEP,
BECAUSE ALL WE ARE IS ‘ME-ME-ME’.
LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING.
EVERY YEAR, UNIVERSITY TUITION WILL BE 2.3% MORE EXPENSIVE FOR MY GENERATION,
MY GENERATION REPORTS HIGHER LEVELS OF ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION THAN ANY OTHER GENERATION,
15% MORE OF US THAN YOU WILL GO TO UNIVERSITY,
BUT 46% OF MY GENERATION WON’T FIND A JOB UNTIL OVER A YEAR AFTER LAW SCHOOL,
MY GENERATION, ON AVERAGE, IS $47,628 IN DEBT.
58% OF GIRLS IN MY GENERATION FEELS LIKE THEY ARE THE WRONG WEIGHT,
95% OF PEOPLE WITH EATING DISORDERS ARE PART OF MY GENERATION,
AND MY GENERATION HAS A MILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY TELLING US THAT WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH,
THAT WE ARE UGLY, LAZY, AND ENTITLED,
AND ANYTHING WE DO TO BE FINANCIALLY SUCCESSFUL,
OR LESS STRESSED,
OR BEAUTIFUL, GOD DAMMIT,
IS IN VAIN.
SO PICK UP YOUR PHONE,
PICK YOUR FAVOURITE FILTER,
AND TAKE A GODDAMN SELFIE.
YOU DESERVE IT FOR HAVING TO GROW UP IN THESE TIMES.
 "


In reference to the above quote (found on tumblr), I must say - despite this being my generation - I was quite shocked by the figures. In a world where everywhere we go we are being told by family, friends, teachers, the media that we're not good enough, surely we should embrace the 'selfie'. Yes I must admit that I have complained once or twice when I scroll down my Instagram feed and all I see is the same face 20 different times - that can get annoying. But c'mon - think about it! This person felt good enough in themselves to post a picture, or two, or three…. And in this day and age, I think that's great. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't see that as vain. I see that as loving the skin you're in. And the ability to do just that is few and far between, and I encourage you - every single person reading this right now - to reflect on what we all call 'vain', 'self-obsessed', but what I now look upon as self-confident, and deeming yourself amazing just as you are. By this I mean none of the thoughts that go through most of our minds when considering a 'selfie'; 'I'm too ugly', 'my legs look too fat', 'my hair is too frizzy', 'my spots are disgusting'. Just god dammit, take a picture, and take pride in who you are. As cliche as it sounds, you really do only have one body, one skin to live in, so why disgrace it? Believe me, I know it's not easy, and it's second nature for us to feel like where we're at is 'never enough', but I urge you to change this common perception and start thinking 'you know what? I am amazing'. You ask why, I ask; why not?

So do it. Put on your favourite outfit, paint your nails, stay in your pyjamas for all it matters! Whatever it is that makes you feel sky-high - and snap away.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post (your selfies are on point :p)
    http://looklovewear.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/summer-makeup.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post and I agree completely, there's enough in this world putting our generation down and if snapping a picture of yourself feeling confident and nice is a way of documenting your happiness, do it!
    s x
    studs-on-saturday.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete