Sunday, November 30, 2014

Real Talk


As I write this I am sat in a bare bones classroom on the 6th floor of a building in Sydney's CBD. It's nearly 4pm and for the next 6.5 hours I will be sitting through a - what I can only imagine to be - thrilling training session about serving alcohol, compulsory if you want to work in any licensed venue in Australia (an RSA for all you Aussies out there).

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that I've bagged myself a job?! On Wednesday morning I headed down to a trial at a restaurant on Manly's beach front and I was offered a job the same day. Helll yeahhhh.

In other news, Alicia and I have moved out of the city centre and on to Manly, one of the northern beaches. I love it here and oh gosh do I wish I grew up here, or even better, permanently resided here!

I would be lying if I told you I wasn't missing home at all. I guess with me,  the struggle is that when things aren't going as planned, all I want to do is to run to my mums arms and let her listen to me babble on about what's not going so great, or to have a spontaneous day trip with my best friends back home, to take my mind off the problem. But, I cannot do that here. That said, I know my loved ones are only a Skype call or a Whatsapp message away, and I'd like to think they're just as eager to talk to me, as I am to them.

In between the odd days of overcast skies and light showers, the weather here is gorgeous and with Christmas only 24 days away, it seems surreal to be walking around in a little summer dress! There's a huge tree put up in the centre of town and a carol concert on Thursday evening - so it's not all that different! I just wonder what Christmas Day will bring.. a swim in the sea rather than walk in the park? A quinoa salad rather than a roast? I cannot wait to find out!

Our hostels are kinda crappy but it's balanced out by the people we've met and my good ol' book and notepad, which I now carry everywhere. My book - Eat Pray Love - for an escape from the stress of house-hunting and my notepad for jotting down random ideas, thoughts ad snippets of inspiration. I've done a lot of thinking whilst being away and I really have confirmed with myself what it is I want to do and be. Rather than just having scattered thoughts in my head, I've put pen to paper and wrote down my ambitions and goals. Anyone who knows me knows that when I put something on a list, I will make it happen!

Anyway, hopefully it's not too long now before Alicia and I find a place. Everything is truly starting to work itself out gals and boys, and I am beaming.

“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”—Thomas Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment