Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving & 3 Things I'm Grateful For



Although I'm a born and bred Londoner, my mum is American, so in our household Thanksgiving is a big deal - by this I mean Christmas, birthdays, New Years - they all come second to this Holiday in our family.

For those of you who don't know, let me give you a brief summary; Thanksgiving originated in the early 1600's when two colonies shared an autumn feast, giving thanks for the harvest and crops that they had grown. Nowadays, it still is very much a food-and-family occasion, where, on the last Thursday of November, the whole country take a day off from school/work and share a feast which is typically made up of turkey, stuffing and mash potatoes.

Anyway, as you probably know I am in Australia at the moment, so I thought I'd have my own mini-Thanksgiving... Minus the feast, minus the family.. (although I'm sure I'll get a slightly-drunken skype call from my parents around midnight from back home if that counts?).

Anyway, let's cut to the chase - 3 things I am grateful for:
  1. Having been brought up in a developed country.I feel like this is one of those it's-so-obvious-I-almost-forgot-it type of thanks. Having just spent 3 weeks travelling the length of Thailand, it has become so apparent to me just how much of a privileged life I have been born in to. No, I don't mean that daddy buys me everything and I am given whatever I ask (in fact I raised every penny of this trip from my part-time job in retail), but that I have my own bedroom, rather than just a single sleeping/living/cooking/dining space, shared with my entire family. I have clean tap water and a hot shower. The toilets at home aren't just holes in the ground, and I know that if I ever found myself in serious trouble, there is a free health care and benefits system I can turn to.
  2. Freedom of choice.Due to both the country I've been brought up in, and the parents I've been raised by, I've always been able to make my own decisions and have a say with exactly what goes on in my life. I'm thankful that where I grew up, everyone is given a free education up to 18, at which point no matter who you are, you are allowed to cast a vote. I'm thankful that I can dress, act, say and do pretty much exactly as I wish without a government threat hanging over me.
  3. Family and friends who help me grow as a person.Yes, this one is probably on everyone's list. Yes, this is incredibly cheesy. But I cannot put in to words just how lucky I feel to be surrounded by such amazing people in my life who support me, love me and encourage me to follow my dreams. They are there to pick me up and help me move forward at my lowest points, just as they are there to celebrate my achievements and cheer me on when I am on top.


Ahh now I feel all lovely and smiley. I read somewhere that the happiest people are those who express gratitude, and that is something I certainly would not disagree with!

Anyway, what about you? What are you grateful for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment