Thursday, January 8, 2015

Why I Have Made It One Of My New Years Resolutions To Stop Saving and Start Spending (and so should you).

For as long as I can remember, I've been a thrifty spender. A meal out, a day's travel card or an item of clothing are all major expenses in my eyes - so much so that I'd often find myself declining an offer to have a day out as - regardless of me having more than enough money in my bank - 'I couldn't afford it'.

Since arriving in Sydney it has come to my attention that this stingy mentality leaves me missing out on opportunities and amazing experiences - things I will look back on and regret not doing.

Now it's not like I don't have any money to spend. In fact this continuous habit of saving for the past few years has left me with quite a healthy bank balance. Saving is all I've ever known and I admittedly find it hard to splash the cash.

However, I cannot go on like this! I cannot return to England having not snorkeled at the Great Barrier Reef, having not devoured a breakfast at the numerous delicious vegan cafes in Sydney and having not sucked up and paid admission to at least one of the many attractions Australia has to offer.

I refuse to 'live to work'. I don't want to be 40, in the midst of a mid-life crisis and just working all day, every day, to pay the bills for a house I'm barely in, and for a car I rarely drive.

In addition to enjoying my job, I am essentially working to earn money; and so I shall spend that money on life's little luxuries. Treat myself on a gorgeous new bedspread! Buy the finest quality groceries! (I.e. not what is just on offer). Go amazing places and do amazing things.

Note: In this post I am in no way advocating dipping in to your overdraft account.. I am merely encouraging us all to acknowledge that it is super duper okay to spend your disposable income, rather than feeling like you must bank it, letting it just sit in your account for 'future needs'.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you will otherwise regret not doing something, then it is well worth spending on. That extra 50 bucks is not worth a missed opportunity and a lifetime of regret!!

No comments:

Post a Comment